Recently, there’s been a demand for fitness regiments to be included in senior care programs established by various elder care centers across the country. Although there are a number of senior citizens who are physically active and engaged in various activities, making it mandatory for home health care centers to implement a fitness program can benefit elderly people in various ways. Fitness programs for senior citizens are not the same with the ones that are implemented in fitness gyms for middle age and young fitness buffs (like these).
Careful consideration has to be done for the frailty of the physical condition of old people and therefore the fitness program should not be as strenuous and also as intense as regular fitness regimens. Here are other items that ought to be taken into consideration when implementing a fitness program for senior citizens.
- The fitness program should cater to the different physical abilities of each senior citizen. Those who are suffering from arthritis along with other chronic join problems cannot engage in aerobics for a long period of time than those who are in good shape. Also, senior citizens on wheelchairs cannot do any exercise routines other than short walks and such. The fitness program ought to be sensitive to each physical condition and really should be dynamic to ensure that everyone is able to participate.
- Exercise is a sort of physical therapy. By implementing a range of motion exercise with the aid of a physical therapist in your program including arm movements, leg movements along with other parts of the body, senior citizens can take advantage of the health rewards of range motion exercises.
- It ought to begin slowly along with fewer repetitions until the senior citizens build up their muscle strength.
- It ought to only implement natural movements and stretches as some elderly may have shoulder or hip replacements.
How Can Home Care Centers Benefit from Fitness Programs
- Improved physical condition allows a person to live a vigorous life even in an advanced age. When a physical condition improves using the exercises implemented in the home care, seniors will have the ability to take longs walks with his or her visitors, participate in other activities including gardening, playing basketball etc. Improved physical condition means improved quality of life.
- An older person with good physical condition can minimize his likelihood of accident injuries and definitely will have better cognitive abilities compared to a senior citizen in poor physical health.
Who Are the Persons Involved?
A qualified physical therapist, a nurse or a fitness trainer specializing in elderly people ought to be the ones who should handle the fitness program. However, when a family member of one of the senior citizens is willing to help, it would be more fun, exciting and more beneficial to the senior citizen provided that it is done under the supervision with a physical therapist or a nurse.